Redesigning Power BI Formatting Pane
One of major issues in Power BI desktop app was its panes, there were multiple panes that have been designed in different times and each has their own pattern. It made onboarding and learning UI much harder for users. We decided to start by tackling the formatting pane to address this issue.
How Did It Start?
I began by gathering all Power BI panes in one place and by comparing them side by side and presenting to stakeholders, I was able to convince them to start fixing this major issue in Power BI desktop app.
My responsibilities in this project were:
- Responsible for end to end experience
- Stakeholder interviews and collaborating with other teams
- Gathering and documenting current issues
- Brainstorming and ideation with team members
- Collaborating with research team and preparing research materials
- Finalizing designs and style guide
- Defining guidelines and principles
- Creating accessibility guidelines
LONG TERM OUTCOME
Reducing cost of design, development and maintenance
Improving users cognitive load and usability
More alignment with other Microsoft's Office applications